Graduating Students: Get Ready for Commencement 2018!
As the GSU community prepares for our annual Commencement ceremonies at the Tinley Park Convention Center, we encourage graduation candidates, family, and friends, as well as participating faculty, staff and volunteers to review the important information and resources below and on our Commencement webpage, which includes updated security procedures.
College of Arts and Sciences and College of Business: Ceremony begins at 10 a.m.; students arrive at the Tinley Park Convention Center by 8:30 a.m.
College of Education and College of Health and Human Services: Ceremony begins at 4:30 p.m.; students arrive at the Tinley Park Convention Center by 3 p.m.
Doors close at 10 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., with admission into the auditorium suspended five minutes before the ceremonies in preparation for the procession of graduates, faculty, and platform party. Late arriving students will not be permitted to enter and will not walk across the stage.
If you have a financial balance with GSU, your diploma and transcript will be held until after your balance is paid in full.
Please note, new security features have been implemented, which include the following:
- NO BACKPACKS, NO CONCEALED WEAPONS, AND NO FIREARMS ARE ALLOWED IN THE CONVENTION CENTER OR HOTEL.
- All students, faculty, staff, volunteers, guests, and vendors will be subject to screening when entering any Commencement venue.
- Guests who are not carrying a bag may use an express entrance lane.
- Only small and average-size handbags, purses, and camera bags will be allowed (no large totes, oversize purses, backpacks, large diaper bags, or messenger bags). Bag size is limited to 12” x 12” x 6”. All bags will be physically inspected prior to entry.
- No other bags, gift bags, wrapped gifts, packages, briefcases, backpacks, or luggage will be allowed in a Commencement or convocation venue, including Tinley Park Convention Center.
- If guests have packages or bags that are not permitted, they may leave them at a “self-check” area adjacent to the venue. While this area will be monitored by security, the University will not provide a claim check process and will not be responsible for packages left in the self-check area.
- Graduates and faculty must carry their robes into event venues and then dress in designated lineup areas.
- Anyone who sees anything suspicious should immediately contact the Governors State University Department of Safety Officer.
Governors State University’s Department of Public Safety will monitor all entry points.