William Kresse, JD, CPA, CFE
Fraud and Identity Theft Expert
Dr. William Kresse is an Associate Professor of Accounting. He has both a bachelor’s and master’s degree in accounting, a law degree, and certifications in public accounting, chartered global management, financial forensics, fraud examination and forensic accounting.
He is well known as “Professor Fraud,” a fraud and identity theft expert who educates the public on ways fraud is perpetuated as well as ways to combat it.
Before joining Governors State, Dr. Kresse was a business professor at Chicago-area universities, practiced law at several Chicago firms, and worked in top management and accounting at two Chicago-based companies. Dr. Kresse still serves on the Chicago Board of Election Commissioners and was named to the American Bar Association’s Advisory Commission on Election Law to ensure the security of vote-by-mail during the November 2020 elections. Dr. Kresse runs his own general law, accounting and consulting practice in addition to owning and operating ProfessorFraud.com.
He has appeared widely in the media, including ABC, CBS, NBC, WGN, PBS, FOX, NPR, Washington Post, New York Times, Chicago Tribune, Chicago Sun-Times and Dallas Morning News.
Dr. Kresse's Research Focus:
- Fighting fraud in higher education
- Preventing identity theft
- Teaching fraud in business school courses
- CBSLA David Goldstein Investigation: https://youtu.be/hcT3ObcKGOs
- Whistle-blowing causes man to move to the Netherlands: https://wgnradio.com/wgn-nightside/true-crime-with-kelly-pope-and-bill-kresse-whistleblowing-causes-man-to-move-to-the-netherlands-jarrod-shanahan-shares-his-insight-into-the-new-york-prison-system-alongside-attorney-michael-dorf/
- Zoombombing explained — How attacks happen on the videoconferencing site: https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2020/04/03/zoom-bombers-interrupt-remote-learning-at-niles-north-niles-west/
- When fraud follows natural disasters, including the COVID-19 pandemic: https://wgntv.com/midday-news/professor-frauds-tips-to-avoid-covid-19-scams/
- The integrity of computer systems that monitor elections: https://electionlab.mit.edu/election-audit-summit
Professor Fraud’s YouTube Channel:
Dr. Kresse is available to talk about fraud, identity theft and any of the areas mentioned above. If you would like to arrange an interview with Dr. Kresse, please contact Zion Banks, Media & External Relations, 708.235.7685 or firstname.lastname@example.org.