Sasha Cervantes, Ph.D.
Memory Accuracy and False Memory, Normal Cognitive Aging Process, and Memory and Creativity Expert
Dr. Sasha Cervantes is an Associate Professor of Psychology at Governors State University. She earned her Bachelor of Arts from the University of California, Berkeley. Dr. Cervantes then went on to earn her master’s degree in psychology with a focus on social cognitive neuroscience from New York University, and both her master’s and doctoral degrees in psychology with a focus on cognitive psychology from University of Chicago. She has taught a wide variety of courses including Cognitive Psychology, Biopsychology, Psych Issues and Social Values Capstone, Principles of Psychology, and Research Methods.
Before Governors State University, she was a Frederick Douglas Scholar and Visiting Professor at California University of Pennsylvania.
She currently serves as a Faculty Advisor for the GSU Chapter of Psi Chi Honor Society, a co-Chair for the Office of the Provost’s Faculty Professional Development Committee, a Faculty Senator for the College of Education and GSU’s Representative for the Midwestern Psychological Association. Additionally, she is a member of the Society for the Teaching of Psychology’s Diversity Committee.
Dr. Cervantes' Research Focus:
- Memory accuracy and false memory
- Normal cognitive aging processes
- Memory and creativity
- Scholarship of teaching and learning - particularly online pedagogy
- Co-curricular engagement and first-generation college students
- Study Strategies Based on Memory and Learning Theory: http://players.brightcove.net/3764097123001/default_default/index.html?videoId=4859652078001
- Inclusive Pedagogy during Coronavirus: http://teachpsych.org/DiversityMatters/8953977
- Black Lives Matter: http://teachpsych.org/DiversityMatters/9015745
- Cognitive Psychology Lab: https://sites.google.com/view/gsucognitionlab/home
Dr. Cervantes is available to talk about memory accuracy and false memory, normal cognitive aging processes, as well as memory and creativity. If you would like to arrange an interview with Dr. Cervantes, please contact Zion Banks, Media & External Relations, 708.235.7685 or email@example.com.