Leonis S. Wright, Ph.D.
School Counseling, Group Dynamics, Human Relational Skills, Lifespan Development Issues, LGBQT+ Youth and Adolescents Education and Careers Expert
Dr. Leonis S. Wright is an associate professor in the College of Education and Human Development-Division of Psychology and Counseling. She teaches in the Master of Arts in Counseling program, preparing future school counselors.
She holds a Ph.D. and M.Ed./Ed.S. in Counselor Education from the University of South Carolina, as well as a B.A. in Journalism, Public Relations, also from the University of South Carolina.
Dr. Wright’s Research Focus:
- LGBTQ+ youth and adolescents career development
- School counselors' role in supporting students' mental health
Relevant Work (peer-reviewed publications):
- Ockerman, M. & Wright, L.S. (in-progress). Antiracist School Counseling: School Counselor Educators’ Perceptions of Practice
- Guzman, Y.Z., Can, A., Wright, L.S., & Tadros, E. (in-progress). Wearing many hats: The lived experience of professional school counselors.
- Rock, W.D., Pincus, R., Justice, J.M., Wright, L.S., Hannor-Walker, T., Wilder, C., Money-Brady, J., Ebersole, D.B., Bohecker, L., & Schwyn, A. (in-progress). School counselors’ and administrators’ perceptions of counselors’ roles in supporting students’ mental health.
- Hannor-Walker, T., Pincus, R., Wright, L.S., Rock, W., Money-Brady, J. & Bohecker, L. (2022). School counselors and administrators agree: Time and testing are barriers. International Journal of Education Policy and Leadership, 18(2). 1-18.
- Wright, L.S., Borland, J., & Can, A. (2022). Addressing the career needs of transgender and gender expansive students. Journal of Counseling in Illinois, 7(1). 61-70.
- Pincus, R., Ebersol, D., Justice, J., Hannor-Walker, T., & Wright, L. (2021). School counselor roles for student success during a pandemic. Journal of School Counseling, 19(29). 1-35. http:/www.jsc.montana.edu/articles/v19n29.pdf
- Pincus, R., Hannor-Walker, T., Wright, L.S., & Justice, J. (2020). COVID-19’s Effect on students: How school counselors rise to the rescue. National Association of Secondary School Principals (NASSP) Bulletin 104(4) 241–256. DOI: 10.1177/0192636520975866
- Wright, L.S. (2020). Understanding the call of social justice advocacy: A phenomenological study of high school counselors. Georgia School Counseling Association Journal. 25. 18-33.
Dr. Wright is available to talk about the issues faced by school counselors, including the career needs of LGBTQ+ students and mental health in students. If you would like to arrange an interview with Dr. Wright, please contact Zion Banks, Media & External relations, 708.235.7685 or email@example.com.